Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Legislators: Jobs, Career, Salary and Education Information
What Legislators Do
Develop, introduce or enact laws and statutes at the local, tribal, State, or Federal level. Includes only workers in elected positions.
- 2014 employment: 58,300
- May 2015 median annual wage: $20,500
Job Outlook for Legislators
Projected employment change, 2014–24:
- Number of new jobs: -400
- Growth rate: -1 percent (Little or no change)
How to Become a Legislator
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: Bachelor's degree
- Work experience in a related occupation: Less than 5 years
- Typical on-the-job training: None
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.